Monday 31 December 2001

Thirty Four

The New Year is only 12 hours away. And I'm sitting under a Melaka tree at the Taman Bukit Maluri's playground with a pen that I received at the International Summit on Islamic Banking & Finance and 12 pieces of used A4 papers, try my best to jot down all my memorable events in 2001.

First and foremost is my first and 'betul-betul' job. With the country's uncertain economy, I'm so blessed to be offered a place at Bank Negara Malaysia, one of a very few prestige and leading organisations in this country. Futhermore, I'm very honoured to be involved in the project of formulating a single regulatory and supervisory framework for the development financial institutions (DFI). And the first product of our unit i.e. Rang Undang-Undang Institusi Kewangan Pembangunan (DFI Bill) has been passed by the Parliament just before Eid Mubarak.

Second event was the death of my beloved 'Ayah' Meng. A few of my siblings and cousins were wondered why I cried heavily on that day. No one knows except my mum, that this quiet sixty something adopted son of my great grandparents somehow or rather planted deep down in my heart a desire to excel in academic. And frankly, I think this father of 2 sons and 2 daughters has motivated me more than  my own father. Until today, I'm still wondering why he cried when receiving a blue green note from my first salary. Al-fatihah and may Allah bless you.

Third is my father illness. After recovered from a minor stroke just a few days before 2000's Raya, the doctor diagnosed him with a kidney stone. And because the stone can't be treated by using the usual laser treatment, a quick operation to remove the stone is really needed before it continues damaging my dad's left kidney. From an aggressive father, surprisingly he has turned into a sensitive human being. Sometimes he even cried when watching sad dramas on TV. I don't know how put it in words but I can feel that we've started to communicate. Again. Even though I'm hardly feel his direct and spontaneous love to me, but I do sense some kind of respect sparked from his two eyes. And to me, that means so much and I would treasure it forever.

This year also I begin to renew my contact with old friends. After Rezuan, came Mus, Borhan, Ameer, Yusof and in a few hours from now, I'm going to meet Che Tong! During the reunion in May, I found out that some people do change to become a Better Man and what we need to do is to give them a chance. Friends - old and new - bring colourful experiences and meanings to my all year long. 2001 is the year when I went to the disco and karaoke lounge for the first time. Even though I find myself uncomfortable in a smoky, crammed and dimmed surrounding, I think those nights gave valuable lessons to become an abdullah.

My affection to music also flourished rapidly in this year. For the first time in my whole life I bought quite a number of original CDs - Kirana, Seandainya Masih Ada Cinta, Syyh... Syafinaz, Mimpi, Phoenix Bangkit, AbstrakVersiFantasi, Soul Alive, Aku Cintakan Mu, Brandnuendo & Isyarat Jiwa. I'm so lucky got to see Dari Jemapoh Ke Manchestee & Kaki Bakar.

But the best gift I ever had this year  is a praise from my best and very closed friend of mine. It's not the typical words by our usual friends; trying to buy our heart but this one means so much and I nearly wanted to cry when I first listened to it. Thank you my friend and I'll always pray that you'll become a good if not a great son. And like I said before, trust nobody but our mum.

Goodbye 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment